Peace of Mind with Enable Holidays19 January 2016
Okay – let’s get the scary stuff out of the way first.
It's a devastating experience to book what seems to be a heavenly vacation, only to have the experience swiftly plummet into holiday hell. Unreliable companies, un-booked holidays, accommodations that don't exist (yes, really) ... fraud can happen to anyone at any time.
According to a report compiled by the City of London Police, fraudsters stole an approximate £2.2 million from travellers and holidaymakers in 2014, with the average loss being £889. 167 victims during this time reported that the effect on their wellbeing was so severe that they had to receive medical treatment.
Despite, these unpleasant tales, fear not! Whenever you book a holiday, there are a number of simple ways that you can protect yourself against falling prey to bogus claims or companies.
Enable Holidays is a proud member of both ABTA (the Association of British Travel Agents) and ATOL (Air Travel Organiser’s Licence). This means that whenever you book with us you can rest easy, knowing that you are financially protected.
Every UK-based travel company is legally obliged to have an ATOL – though not all air holidays sold in the UK are ATOL-protected! If an ATOL-protected travel company goes under, anyone who booked holidays with the firm are covered and will not lose any money. ABTA does a similar job to the ATOL, but does so for travel agents rather than tour operators.
ABTA offered the following tips to observe when booking trips online:
- Take time to do research, paying attention to reviews that demonstrate legitimacy or tell you more about the company
- Check that the website address appears to be correct. Sophisticated scammers can replicate legitimate websites by altering the end of the address – for example, changing .co.uk to .org
- Whenever you enter personal or payment details online, make sure the website is secure by having a padlock symbol in the address bar and the address starting with https:// or “shttp://”.
- If the company you use claims to be a member of a trade association, such as ABTA or ATOL, verify their membership by quickly searching for them on the official ABTA or ATOL website.
If you would like to speak to a member of Enable Holidays team, contact us on 0871 222 4939 or [email protected]
- Enable Holidays awarded the Gold Trusted Service Award 2019
- Indian Tour by Mr & Mrs Holman
- Black Friday | Double Discount
- Five Top Tips for Planning an Accessible Holiday Without the Stress
- FREE Vip Lounge Pass
- Where To Go - And What To Do - On Your Next Accessible City Break
- Voted 'Happy Holidays' Winner at DMUK Awards 2018
- How Will Brexit Affect Disabled Holidays?
- Finding the Accessible Winter City Break for You
- 3 Wheelchair-Friendly Short-Haul Winter Sun Destinations